Surviving COVID-19

Coming into work everyday seeing sick patients was enough to get me to carry 5 hand sanitizers, wear a mask at all times, wash my hands like a maniac, remain distant from peers, and Lysol my shoes before I went into the house. I am young, with mild underlying health conditions, so I wanted to be extra cautious not only for myself, but for those around me. I was confident I was doing everything right. That is until, I got COVID-19.

Day 1: I developed a massive headache, at around 12:00 PM, like no other. I always get migraines, so this wasn’t very alarming. I simply took some pain medication, and went on about my day. At about 2:00 PM, the pain was unbearable, I realized I hadn’t eaten since the previous morning, so I attributed the headache to the hunger, BUT, I was not hungry. I was not hungry at all (Now, this is alarming, because ya girl loves to eat). I hadn’t taken a lunch break so I drove to grab some food. I took one bite, and I was over it. I simply had no appetite. On this particular day, I carpooled with my fiance so I was waiting for him to get off so he could drive me home. By 5 PM I was nauseous, vomiting, had chills, and I was sweating. I knew something wasn’t right, but there was no way I had COVID, I was cautious.

Day 2: I took my temperature and I had a fever of 103. I sent a picture to my boss and told her I would take a sick day, because I wasn’t feeling well and I didn’t want to pass this bug along. Since I work in healthcare, I decided to call employee health and receive a COVID test, really to rule it out and make those around me feel better, because I just knew I didn’t have COVID-19. I still had a headache, but I was feeling a bit better than the day before. I got my swab, and when I had my temperature taken, it was down to 97.9. I was feeling confident, I could return to work the following day, once I received my negative result.

Day 3: I received a call from our ER director who works with the county’s health department. I knew her well, so I figured she was calling to give me the news, that I was good to return to work. Wrong! “Hi Corina, This is Marla how are you feeling?” I’m doing okay, still have a bit of a headache, but the chills/fever went away. I think I had a 24 hour bug. Marla paused, “Actually, I am calling you directly, because I received your test results, unfortunately, you are positive for COVID-19.” I couldn’t help myself, the first thing out of my mouth was a four letter expletive. She proceeded to tell me to quarantine for 14 days, and I will get a call from the health department with further instructions. I was shocked. I still didn’t feel very sick, so I hoped for the best. Some of the research articles I read indicated if you can make it past day 10, you are “in the clear,” so my countdown began.

Day 4: I began coughing uncontrollably and I felt extremely weak. I realized I hadn’t eaten anything since Monday. I had no desire to eat, no appetite at all whatsoever. I was afraid I was going to pass out, so I started eating soup, and I realized, I couldn’t taste or smell my soup. When I heard of this happening to people, I remember thinking, “there is no way you just stop tasting and smelling, completely.” I learned quickly this was not the case. I started moving food around on my tongue to see if certain parts of my tongue were more responsive than others, but nope, nothing. I started to panic, then I realized that wouldn’t do me any good, so I forced myself to relax.

Photo by cottonbro on

Day 5: All of my symptoms were still present. Headache, nausea, no appetite, no taste or smell, shortness of breath, cough, and now add stomach pain to the equation. I remember getting up and walking to the bathroom, and I began to cough. This was like no cough I had ever experienced. The only way I can describe it to others is, it felt like I had smoldering lava running through my chest. I felt like my lungs were literally on fire! I grabbed my chest and collapsed to the floor crying for my fiance. Since I had tested positive, he was also tested and placed on leave. However, he was negative, so we were staying on opposite sides of the house, separate from one another. A part of me wanted him to help me, then the other half of me wanted him to stay away because I didn’t want him to get this nasty virus. After I yelled for him, I told him stay away. I crawled into my room and text him, “we may need to go to the hospital should my symptoms continue to get worse.”

Day 6-10: I was feeling like I had made it over the hump. All of my symptoms remained, but they were not getting worse. I started to develop an appetite again on day 7, but as I ate, I realized I still couldn’t taste anything, and boy does that take the “fun,” out of eating. I continued to monitor my temperature. I would fluctuate between 100-102 degrees most of the days, so I started taking Tylenol to keep that under control. My headaches were by far the worst of all of the symptoms up until this point, but I was excited I made it to day 10 without a trip to the ER.

Day 11: I made it to day 11! I was feeling like I beat the virus. My headaches were still pretty bad, and I was exhausted, but I was maintaining. I was starting to eat regularly, and my hopes were high. Then, as I went to bed, I had my worst experience yet. I started to feel really short of breath and I was struggling. I decided to try to go to bed. I checked my oxygen saturation, my baseline is normally 97%. As I went to bed I noticed, my saturation dropped to 90%. As a Respiratory Therapist, I knew something wasn’t right. I must admit, I probably should have gone to the hospital at this point, but I tried to fight it, because I knew how slammed we were at the hospital. I took some medication that would reduce my fever and help me sleep, and tried to sleep it off.

Day 12: I made it through the night! I legitimately contemplated the thought of not waking up, but I made it! I continued to feel short of breath, fatigue, a massive headache, and an occasional dry cough.

Day 13-20: My symptoms did not change, I continued to feel exhausted. Remember earlier, when I mentioned the county health department calling me to follow up? They were so inundated with patients, that I didn’t receive a call until day 16. Luckily I contacted a physician on day 13 and they agreed, although I was no longer infectious, I was in no shape to return to work. My physician kept me off through day 26.

Day 21: I finally started to feel normal. I woke up in the morning, went for a walk, and actually got a jog in as well. Once I started jogging I started feeling the after effects of the virus. I used to be a professional dancer, and I consider myself active. I made it half way around the track before I had to stop and start walking. I can normally jog all four laps, but, that was not happening! I slowed down, and tried not to get discouraged.

Day 22-30: Most of my symptoms have subsided. I have lingering shortness of breath, occasional headaches, and fatigue. I have continued to go to the track daily, and increase the amount of time I jog on the track everyday and pace myself.

Photo by Ketut Subiyanto on

Although I want to bounce back quickly, I have to remember I am recovering from a virus that has taken the lives of many. I feel so lucky to wake up and see another day. I have seen my physician and while he is happy I have recovered, he has warned that we still do not know the long-term effects of this virus, because it is so new. I will continue to monitor my progress, be cautious of others, and hope for the best. I will be sure to update you on my progress!

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

You may also Enjoy

10 Basic Must Haves on your Resume

Are you tired of applying for hundreds of jobs, only to receive a generic message from a company indicating, they went with someone more experienced? or who was a better fit? Applying for jobs can be a hassle, but, there is a science to the process and I am here to help you break it

Read More »

The 3 C’s Formula for Effective Feedback

Giving feedback can be difficult, especially if it is corrective. Feedback is essential if you want to see your team succeed. Any successful leader knows feedback is they key to growth. I have developed a feedback formula that I use each time I deliver feedback. I call it the 3 C’s of feedback. WHAT ARE

Read More »

The Best Retail Subscriptions for Female Leaders

Have you ever thought about how much money you spend on clothes? On top of the cost, have you fallen into the, “I wore this last week,” committee? I recently discovered subscriptions for your closet, and let me tell you… LIFE CHANGING. There are so many options out there, so I will list my top

Read More »
sign up now and receive our free guide to goal-setting.
Set SMART goals and crush them!